NEW YORK, NY – A new piece in Consumer Reports gives a list for how people can create their own swine flu survival kit. Too extreme?
Consumer Reports is a monthly magazine published by the Consumers Union, an independent nonprofit group that gives unbiased reviews and comparisons of products. Although there focus is almost exclusively on retail items, there will be an article in September’s issue on how to build a swine flu survival kit.
The idea is that if the spread of the flu becomes so severe that citizens are confined to their homes, these are a list of things one “should” have on hand:
- A two-week supply of food and water.
- Fever reducers, such as acetaminophen, ibuprofen, Cough and cold medications containing chlorpheniramine, diphenhydramine, oxymetazoline, and pseudoephedrine and lozenges with dyclonine, glycerin, or honey can help ease symptoms.
- Electrolyte drinks, such as Gatorade or Powerade, to keep you hydrated.
- Hand sanitizer with at least 60 percent alcohol, such as Purell, to kill viruses when soap and water aren’t available.
- Surgical masks with an FDA rating of at least N-95 to help prevent spreading the flu. Masks need to be replaced often and disposed of after use.
They also recommend general emergency supplies, such as:
- at least three days’ worth of nonperishable food
- at least one gallon of water per person, per day
- a first-aid kit that includes any prescription or over-the-counter medications your family might need
Considering the unnecessary mass hysteria when swine flu first emerged, do you think this is excessive? Or is it better to be safe than sorry, in case swine flu becomes a pandemic?
7 thoughts on “SWINE FLU SURVIVAL KIT”
Dreaded Swine flu has just claimed it's first Irish victim
I have to say that for the last couple of hours i have been hooked by the amazing articles on this website. Keep up the wonderful work.
Hi there, I do think your blog could be acquiring web browser compatibility troubles. As i check out your site web site in Firefox, it appears fine but while starting with Internet explorer, it has several overlapping. I just required to offer a fast heads up!
I believe I’ll become a frequent visitor to your site! I enjoy your in depth posts about this subject and I enjoy the fact you are so knowledgeable about this subject.
It never hurts to be prepared so I'd say this entire kit is necessary. If it were possible to keep actual expert doctors in storage, it would be a lot better. Unfortunately, that option isn't physically or legally possible.